MINUTES OF BOARD OF EDUCATION
North Bend Central Board Room
August 8, 2016
Kind of Meeting
President....................... Dan Wesely
Vice Pres....................... Jeff Bauer
Secretary....................... Jeff Peters
Treasurer....................... Francis Emanuel
Member......................... Gary Vyhlidal
Member......................... Chris Armstrong
Superintendent............... Dan Endorf
Recording Secretary….. Connie Nelson
- A. CALL TO ORDER - President Wesely called the Board meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
- ROLL CALL: Present: Dan Wesely, Jeff Bauer, Jeff Peters, Francis Emanuel, Chris Armstrong and Gary Vyhlidal
- EXCUSE ABSENT BOARD MEMBERS: none
- ACKNOWLEDGE POSTED OPEN MEETING ACT: President Wesely announced and informed the public that a current copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted on the wall of the meeting room and directed the public to its location.
- REVIEW OF THE AGENDA:
A. PUBLICATION NOTICE: Notice of the meeting was given in advance by publication and/or posting in accordance with the Board approved method for giving notice of meetings. Notice of this meeting was given in advance to all members of the Board of Education and published in the August 2, 2016 “North Bend Eagle”. The Secretary of the Board maintains a list of the news media requesting notification of meetings and advance notification to the listed media of the time and place of the meeting and the subjects to be discussed at this meeting was provided. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the publicized notice and a current copy of the agenda was maintained as stated in the publicized notice. All proceedings of the Board of Education, except as may be herein after noted, were taken while the convened meeting was open to the attendance of the public.
- Changes to the agenda: none
- Notes regarding agenda: none
- Closed session: none
3. RECOGNITION OF VISITORS/PUBLIC COMMENT:
- BUSINESS ITEMS:
- APPROVAL OF PRIOR MINUTES: The Board reviewed the minutes of the July 11, 2016 Board Meeting. President Wesely approved the minutes as presented.
- APPROVAL OF BILLS: Motion (Peters), second (Armstrong) to approve the August bills as follows: General Fund - $96,215.53; Payroll Fund - $450,114.41; General Reimbursement Fund - $649.28; Building Fund -
$229,308.00; Depreciation Fund - $15,913.31. Motion Carried 6-0.
- SECOND READ OF BOARD POLICIES: Motion (Bauer), second (Peters) to approve the following 2016-17 Board Policy revisions and additions as presented: Board Policy 1350 (Conflict of Interest); Board Policy 1450 (Use of Funds); Board Policy 2212 (Hazing); Board Policy 2220 (Drug Free Schools); Board Policy 2240 (Copyright-
Board of Education Meeting August 8, 2016 Page 2 of 3
Instruction); Board Policy 2250 (C.O.P.P.A.); Board Policy 2300 (Assessment); Board Policy 2310 (Copyright); Board Policy 2420 (Student Privacy); Board Policy 2421 (Title I); Board Policy 3120 (Option Enrollment); Board Policy 3120(E) (Homeless Students); Board Policy 3344(E1) (Asthma); Board Policy 3374 (Return to Learn); Board Policy 4210 (Sex Abuse); Board Policy 4465 (Workplace Privacy); Board Policy 5117 (ESSA); Board Policy 5120 (Use of Credit Cards); and Board Policy 5126 (Sale of Property). Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONSIDERATION OF FREEZER PURCHASE: Kevin Ferguson discussed with the Board the need to purchase an outdoor freezer for storage and use at the middle/high school. Motion (Peters), second (Vyhlidal) to authorize the Superintendent to pursue the purchase of a freezer for the middle school/high school location. Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONSIDERATION OF SALTGUARD BID FOR ELEMENTARY SIDEWALKS: Kevin Ferguson and Bob Soukup discussed the need for Saltguard sealant on the new pavement at the elementary so the maintenance department will be able to use salt on the new concrete beginning the first year during inclement weather. Motion (Armstrong), second (Peters) to accept the bid from Pave the Way for application of Saltguard WB to the new sidewalk and bus lane at the Elementary for $4,770. Motion Carried 6-0.
- LONG-TERM FACILITIES PLANNING REPORT: Dr. Endorf discussed the long-term strategic planning update and timeframe for facilities. The Board discussed potential concession and restroom upgrades at the softball field, as well as the possibility of consolidating several of the smaller buildings at the softball and football fields. Bob Soukup presented various design options for parking lot upgrades at the middle/high school. Endorf also discussed the next phase of HVAC replacement.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: Dr. Endorf spoke to the Board about the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offered at no charge to the District by National Insurance Services, the company that provides life insurance and long-term disability to NBC employees who meet the qualification guidelines. EAP provides counseling and referrals to employees who seek confidential guidance and support.
- 2016-17 DISTRICT ENROLLMENT REPORT: Dr. Endorf informed the Board that there are 597 students in grades K-12 enrolled for the 2016-17 school year, with 33 students enrolled in Pre-School.
- SCHOOL OPENING REPORT: Dr. Endorf shared the power point presentation that will be presented to District employees on August 11th. Brenda Petersen and Tessie Beaver also discussed the Marzano framework and progress that has been made throughout the previous year, as well as expectations for the 2016-17 school year. Tessie Beaver also spoke about the After School Program being offered at the elementary. Brenda Petersen discussed the Career Ed goals for 2016-17.
- DISTRICT HALL OF FAME REPORT: Dr. Endorf discussed the possibility of creating a North Bend Central Hall of Fame for the District in the near future, perhaps to be unveiled at the Holiday Tournament.
- NSAA CLASSIFICATION COMMITTEE REPORT: Dr. Endorf reported on the final meeting of the NSAA Classification Committee held August 3, 2016.
- CONSIDERATION TO HIRE BOWLING COACH: Motion (Bauer), second (Armstrong) to hire Randy Dodge as a Bowling Coach for Unified Bowling. Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONSIDERATION TO HIRE PARA: Motion (Emanuel), second (Peters) to hire Deb Erpelding as a para- professional. Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONSIDERATION TO HIRE CUSTODIANS: Motion (Armstrong), second (Vyhlidal) to hire Vickie Kohl and Marla Murray as custodians. Motion Carried 6-0.
- CONSIDERATION TO HIRE PART-TIME COOK: Motion (Bauer), second (Peters) to hire Heidi Widick as part-time cook. Motion Carried 6-0.
Board of Education Meeting August 8, 2016 Page 3 of 3
- REMINDERS AND DATES:
- NASB FALL MEMBERSHIP MEETING: Dr. Endorf reported to the Board that the NASB Fall Membership meeting will be held in Fremont on Oct. 19th.
- NASB STATE CONFERENCE: Dr. Endorf reminded the group that the annual state conference will occur on November 16 – 18 in Omaha.
- NEXT BOARD MEETING: Budget Retreat will be held in late August. The next scheduled regular monthly Board Meeting will be held on Monday, September 12, 2016 at 7:30 p.m.
ADJOURNMENT: Motion (Vyhlidal), second (Armstrong) to adjourn the meeting at 10:54 p.m. Motion Carried 6-0.
Dan Wesely, President
Jeff Peters, Secretary